logo
Slideshow Image 1 Slideshow Image 2 Slideshow Image 3 Slideshow Image 4 Slideshow Image 5 Slideshow Image 6 Slideshow Image 7 Slideshow Image 8 Slideshow Image 9 Slideshow Image 10 Slideshow Image 11 Slideshow Image 12

Pages

Welcome

Welcome to my little spot on the world wide web, a place that I hope to let you into my world behind the lens. I have fallen head over heels in love with photography. I see it everywhere I go. My mind is always swirling and taking notes. It has become part of who I am. I want to make time stop through my images. Capture the things we just might otherwise forget.

February 2, 2010

groundhog day

**First of all a little warning, these pictures were taken almost 5 years ago with my little point and shoot camera. Purely snapshots from time...nothing fancy, but our memories!

Hear Ye Hear Ye Hear Ye

On Gobbler's Knob on this glorious Groundhog Day, February 2nd, 2010, Punxsutawney Phil, Seer of Seers, Prognosticator of all Prognosticators awoke to the call of President Bill Deeley and greeted his handlers, John Griffiths and Ben Hughes.

After casting a joyful eye towards thousands of his faithful followers, Phil proclaimed, "If you want to know next, you must read my text. As the sky shines bright above me, my shadow I see beside me. So six more weeks of winter it will be."

February 2nd is a day that is and always will mean groundhog day to me. You see, my grandparents live in THE Punxsutawney, PA, home of Phil, THE groundhog. Punxsutawney is not a very big town and they have so much pride over this tradition. I mean LOTS of pride. We grew up sharing some of that pride back in Kansas. I can remember as a child having Punxsutawney on spelling tests thanks to me. We have been in our local paper sporting our groundhog shirts and now even our children have graced the pages of the paper. So, I wanted to honor Phil, {even if he tells us we are going to have six more weeks of winter, BOO} with a post just for him.
Here is an article on Fox news on how the tradition got started, go ahead, educate yourself.

For the record, my papa can't stand groundhogs. A rodent. We have a picture of us as kids standing with him holding a dead one that he had just shot... it was eating his garden. Boy, times have changed.


This is a real groundhog in the "wild" or ok, on the golf course. This picture has a super funny story that goes with it, I will spare you but can guarantee my sister is laughing hard just looking at it.
The cousins in front of gobbler's knob, where the festivities take place.
Sadly, we haven't ever been on groundhog day.
Phil and a few friends live at the local library during the year...aka groundhog zoo.
Josie and Addi give us a peek inside Phil's burrow.
The kids posing on some of the groundhog statues around town.

My dad (who grew up in Punxsy) with the grandkids posing for the camera, this was in the Hutchinson News, February 2006.

Wow, the kids have grown and we have added a couple more!


So...happy groundhog day!

On another note, really did neglect my blog this past month. But got my website almost totally done (will announce soon) and that was my main goal of the month. Did get a few things done around the house too. So, hopefully February will be a bit more exciting and there might be more action on here again!

0 comments:

Post a Comment